Sunday, July 25, 2010

House Sitting My Own Home

So although I had to go to work today, it was an alright Sunday for me.  I overslept, which is usually the case (especially since I stayed up until about four in the morning due to Mequa's coughing and Nugget's barking) and made it to work about five minutes late.  The first hour of my shift was a very grumpy one, mostly because I wanted to be back in bed and hadn't consumed nearly enough soda by then. 

Dex showed up an hour later (his shift was 12-5 while mine was 11-6) and I immediately began perking up. Hard not to with that one cracking jokes about every single display idea I had.  Sometimes I love being an English major... the amount of quotes and symbolism we can feed into a simple candle display is absurd.  We decided one setup was a very subtle water molecule model while another was a blatant phallic symbol suggesting male superiority and fighting against the upheld tradition that candles are for sissies (how could it be, with such a tall candle as that?).  You get my point... we had some good times.

When lunch rolled around, I found myself craving a smoothie instead of actual food.  When I talked to the lady at Orange Julius, I found out mall employees get a discount! Score! I got a huge triple berry smoothie for the price of a soda at any of the other vendors in the food court.  And it was delicious.

After work, I went straight home to an empty house (aside from all the pets).  My family flew to Mexico today.  I am slightly jealous, but I am loving the silence created by their absence.  I simply adore being the only human on the property.  The sense of peace and privacy is one I rarely get to enjoy, and it is mine until they return on Thursday!  The only real drawback is that I'm kinda forced to enjoy it out here because I need to be home in the mornings and evenings to take care of Mequa (who is doing much better, by the way).  That means no partying it up in town with Dex's family. He wants me to come over for some homemade pizza, but I'm afraid that won't be until next week because of the dog.  Of course, he could always come out here... I have an oven too lol. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I'm perfectly content to curl up with my Kindle and my laptop for the evening, just as I have done tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment