Friday, July 30, 2010

Insomnia Strikes Again (Dun Dun Dunnnnnn)

I was up until 6 a.m. last night. Seriously.  I just couldn't sleep to save my life.  If the option was to go to sleep or get shot in the face, I probably wouldn't be alive to post this right now. It is so frustrating because there is no real reason for me to stay up so late. I love sleeping. It is in my top three favorite pastimes. So why can't I get my brain to shut the hell up for five minutes so I can can slip into Dreamland? I don't know, but I wish I could figure it out. These last few weeks have been exhausting.

Dex always says, "You gotta get your sleep schedule back on track." I wholeheartedly agree. But doing that is impossible. I refuse to take sleeping pills, and when I tried a melatonin supplement, I was a nauseous zombie the whole next day. Not my idea of fun.  Plus, when I'm up until six in the morning, that means I sleep until one in the afternoon. I would have just stayed up, but once I got tired, I totally crashed. I didn't have a choice.

Lately, I've been trying to stay very relaxed, hoping that doing so may help me sleep more.  Unfortunately, trying and doing are two very different things.  With all the crap that has been going on, no amount of relaxation techniques seem to be helping.  The most effective method for me is to draw a (VERY) hot bath, light about fifteen candles, and read a book in the tub for about an hour. Of course, I use my lavender scented bath salts (homemade, of course) and Bath and Body Works "sleepy soap." I have about a 60% success rate. In any case, I'm always a sucker for a hot bath and steamy novel.  Gotta love the occasional trashy romance.

So what do you do to fall asleep? I've been considering digging out my yoga mat, doing some stretching, and spending some time meditating before bed each evening.  Any tips would be appreciated. I just really want to feel well rested again.

No comments:

Post a Comment